The United Association's chief officer is General President Mark McManus. In August 2016, Mark McManus was unanimously elected as General President at the UA's 39th General Convention and on November 10, 2016, he assumed his new position leading the nation's most progressive and influential trade union.
The General President is responsible for supervising the day-to-day affairs of the United Association and for decisions concerning internal union governance, as well as rendering decisions and adjusting disputes and other matters affecting the organization. He is the chairman of the UA General Executive Board, UA Strategic Planning Committee, and supervises the development and implementation of all major policies and programs of the United Association.
He represents the face of the United Association in dealings with high-level government officials, contractors, contractor associations, project owner organizations, fellow labor unions and the general public. Given his stature in the industry, the General President serves on various important boards, councils and committees, including the following:
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Plumbers and Pipefitters National Pension Fund
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Local Union Officers and Employees Pension Fund
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the UA General Officers and Employees Pension Fund
- AFL-CIO Executive Committee Member & Executive Council Member
- Vice-President of North America’s Building Trades Unions
- Vice-President of the Executive Council of the Metal Trades Department
- Board of Directors of Veterans in Piping (VIP) Program
- Board of Directors of Helmets to Hardhats